3Rs : How to apply it in our daily lives!

3Rs - Reuse.Reduce.Recycle.

Why 3Rs? The declining resources of earth has forced us to live a life where there is no wastage, where we reuse almost everything and recycle every bit of paper and plastic. Not just as our duty, but we should adopt certain practices so that we can contribute just a little to our mother earth

What starts at home, paves a path to a wide road. Thus, we should first carry out these very-easy and simple methods at our houses and then spread the same to the community. The 3Rs save land and money which communities often use to dispose off waste in landfills.

3Rs

#Reducewaste, instead prepare your own compost.

Composting can divert upto 30% of  household waste from your garbage bins. It is important because when the organic garbage is thrown away in landfills, it breaks down in the absence of oxygen and emits harmful methane gas, increasing the rate of global warming.

Home-composting also acts as a replacement to the chemical fertilisers you use in your garden, lawns and plants. It is an important step in following 3R’s.

What all you can use for compost :-  tea leaves, dried flowers, leaves, fruit and vegetable peels, egg shells, coffee grounds, chicken manure, dry sand and all the organic waste from your kitchen. 

You can either use earthen pots or enclosed bins as a composter. You need to activate your compost by putting some water + Yogurt mixture from time to time. In about 4-6 months when your compost will turn grainy/sandy, it will be ready.

home composting
3Rs

#Reuse mango seeds to grow plants.

In summers the most loved fruit is “mango”. Everyone of us love mangoes and we can show our affection towards it by re-using the mango seeds to grow indoor mango plants and replanting it outdoors after it begins to sprout. Also, it is the best time to grow a mango tree and is a major step in following 3Rs.

What you have to do :- Just after you eat a mango, wash the seed and keep it in a dry place. Let it dry for sometime and then sow it in a pot or re-used tin half-covered with sand. Pour some water time to time, whenever you see that sand is dry. However, mangoes don’t require lots of water. Just within few weeks you will see sprouts coming over. Re-plant it when it grows strong enough or what you can do is directly sow the seed in a garden and keep a watch over it. 

mango seed in a pot

#Recycle every bit of plastic waste.

Only 20% of plastic waste gets recycled and the other 80% either gets discarded or incinerated. 

The discarded plastic goes into ocean, landfills, drains and harms the animal and even us in many ways. You know what? You’re drinking plastic, I am drinking plastic, We all are drinking plastic. So, we should try our best and prevent plastic from entering oceans and landfills. 

What you can do :-  Collect every bit of plastic waste at your home and separate it. We can give this waste for recycling at different “plastic collection centres” like one in Lajpat Nagar, Central Market. Here you even get a cloth bag for every one kg of plastic. Also, you can contact different agencies which collect plastic waste from your doorstep. One of them is “One Step Greener” in vasant kunj. One step greener is continuously trying to make people follow 3Rs.  Also, E-vending machines have been installed in certain areas like India gate and connaught place, where you can dump plastic bottles, cans, paper and people will get money and vouchers worth Rs1 to Rs 100 depending upon your weight of plastic waste.

plastic waste
3R's
plastic vending machine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *